The Crusader

Star Wars: May the Fourth be with you

The+popular+Star+Wars+film+franchise+all+started+with+the+first+film+in+1977.+It+since+spawned+many+other+films+and+a+popular+holiday%2C+May+the+4th%2C+among+fans.+
The popular Star Wars film franchise all started with the first film in 1977. It since spawned many other films and a popular holiday, May the 4th, among fans.

Sean Beisswenger, Contributing Writer

On May 4, fans of the legendary science fiction film franchise Star Wars joined together to celebrate what has become known in the media as Star Wars day.

The phrase “may the fourth be with you” was uttered worldwide becoming the tagline of Star Wars day, an obvious play on the famous line “may the force be with you.”

According to the official Star Wars website, “May the 4th be with you,” what started as a pun, warmly shared by fans, has become a full-fledged Star Wars holiday…a special once-a-year celebration of the galaxy far, far away.”

The beloved franchise began in 1977 when Star Wars creator George Lucas released the first monumental film, A New Hope, moviegoers were amazed by futuristic effects and the story of space-age rebellion.

“It’s funny to think about how much of an impact these movies had on people,” said Monroe-Woodbury sophomore Milton Santiago.

“It’s about a princess, a smuggler, and his giant dog, and a farmer with massive daddy issues committing acts of terrorism and ‘saving the galaxy,’ it just seems so silly,”  said Santiago.

“I love them to death anyway, no matter how silly they sound, they’re important,” said Santiago.

The Star Wars films are celebrated by many people other than Santiago, regular people and celebrities alike.

The New York Yankees even had their own celebration, on that special day, fans entering the stadium were greeted by a parade of men and women dressed as iconic characters from the series and the visiting team was portrayed as the movies’ dreaded stormtroopers.

Upon first entering the stadium, fans were also given bobbleheads portraying player Aaron Judge as a Jedi knight. According to Major League Baseball’s website: “ on May 4 — of ‘May the Fourth Be With You’ fame — the Yankees will give out a bobblehead for their Star Wars Night that will prove that the force is also strong with their young outfielder.”

Star Wars is a seemingly immortal franchise, holding the attention and admiration of fans for over 40 years and counting.
It has been passed down from father to son bringing excitement and happiness to fans old and young for decades.

The impact this simple little franchise has had is immeasurable and the addition of this “holiday,” guarantees and solidifies a place in popular media for Star Wars for many years to come.

When The Crusader speaks, the world listens
Star Wars: May the Fourth be with you