The Crusader

Students donate blood through NY Blood Center

Jess Roberts, Contributing Writer

The Monroe-Woodbury High School held a blood drive on Fri. April 27 from 7:30 a.m.- 1 p.m., in the wrestling room. The blood donated helps to save the lives of people in surgeries, car accidents or illnesses. The New York Blood Center took the donations at the high school.

At the blood drive, students from Future Business Leaders of America club (FBLA) helped run registration, moved students to the respective waiting area, and escorted the students to the snack table after donating said Ms. Palkaunieks, the FBLA adviser.

“We had 79 students show up. We were quite surprised as we thought it’d be much lower due to the rescheduling of the event twice,” said Ms. Palkaunieks. The blood drive was rescheduled due to weather both times.

“I’ve never donated, but it was a good experience,” said sophomore Ragy Beshay.

The donation took about 25 minutes for Beshay, during which the students crowded the room.

“The blood drive shows people really care about things they do,” said Beshay.

Ms. Palkaunieks said that one pint of blood can save three lives.

The New York Blood Center travels from Queens arrives at 5:30 am, and typically gets between 100 to 120 pints of blood, said Ms. Palkaunieks.

According to the New York Blood Center, in order to give blood students are required to be 16, with parents permission, or older, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health.

“It doesn’t hurt me and it helps others,” said Melissa Alifano, another student that donated.

Alifano also said that she donated using the Alyx machine. The New York Blood Center brought the Alyx machine which doubles the red blood cell count and returns plasma back to the body.

All students donating were offered high sugar food and drinks after to boost sugar due to the loss of blood during the donation. According to the Red Cross, drinking extra fluids and a cookie or two will help with lightheadedness or dizziness.

Alifano stated it was convenient that food was offered since she was light headed and wasn’t sure what to eat after.

“I wanted to see how it felt to save a life,” said Janelle Boss. After donating, Boss said she felt faint but was happy that she donated.

“It was nice to have food available because passing out isn’t really fun,” said Boss.

When The Crusader speaks, the world listens