The Crusader

Students may have opportunity to learn about teaching in new course

Grace Varcadipane, Contributing Writer

The Monroe-Woodbury English Department is looking to add another English course for the upcoming school year, where students will have the opportunity to explore what it’s like to be a teacher.

English Department Chairperson, Mrs. Bulla, is creating the half-year elective, know as “Exploring Teaching as a Profession,” through the University at Albany, where students can gain up to three college credits.

According to the UAlbany website, the course focuses heavily on “concepts of schooling, changing role of teachers, restructuring schools, and teaching as a career.”

The course will be open to all incoming juniors and seniors who are interested in becoming a teacher or who are curious about what teaching is like. According to Ms. Bulla, there will be a hands-on internship that will allow students to have experiences like their own teachers have.

“My hope is that we will be able to introduce students to the field of education to help students get a feel for whether or not they are interested in the career,” said Ms. Bulla, “the course will be an orientation to a career in education at every level, elementary to high school.”

Junior Avisha Patel is interested in taking the course next year.

“I feel that the course will give some good insight on what it’s like to teach,” said Patel.

“I believe this program will give students a chance to explore one of the best professions on Earth,” said Assistant Principal Ms. Soto.

Mr. Filie, an AP English teacher who encourages students to take the course, feels that the course is important for students who show a particular interest in teaching.

“This course will provide some insight to what education looks like behind the scenes,” said Mr. Filie, “most kids don’t have any reason to think about what goes into teaching outside the classroom, but this will give you the perspective to the rest of the job.”

Mr. Filie believes students who are willing to become “intimately acquainted” with teaching should also know the importance of the job.

“Teaching is more of a vocation than a job in my eyes,” said Mr. Filie.

When The Crusader speaks, the world listens