The Crusader

Students enter work into Congressional Art Competition

April Gomez Rojas, Contributing Writer

Eight pieces of artwork submitted by Monroe-Woodbury art students were entered into the Congressional Art Competition in May.

According to their website, house.gov, each spring the Congressional Institute sponsors a nationwide high school visual art competition to recognize and encourage artistic talent in each congressional district. More than 65,000 students have participated since 1982.

The school department selects between eight and ten pieces of artwork from students to enter into the competition.

The results were announced last Thursday at a reception. All student artists received a certificate from the Congressman. Tiana Liggio was awarded as this year’s Facebook Fan Favorite.

The third winning category is Facebook Fan Favorite, which is given to the project with the most “likes” on Facebook. Voting for the Facebook Fan Favorite award took place from April 23 to April 30.

In May, entries are presented to local judges from the 18th district of New York. The winners’ artwork is hung up for display at the U.S. Capitol for one year. There is a committee that votes on a piece to go to Washington.

According to house.gov, there is one grand prize winner and winners for each medium. Winners are recognized in their district and at a ceremony in Washington, DC. Winners in three categories are announced at the reception for participants.

The school’s art department selects artwork based on technical or creative aspects. They collectively agree upon pieces and look for drawings and paintings from juniors or any digital art from any grade level.

“It’s always an honor to be chosen for an exhibit. I hope the students appreciate the opportunity and continue to see the importance and value of creating art,” said art teacher Mr. McElroy.

“The opportunity to be a part of this is an honor, and I can only continue to keep on practicing and learning to become a better artist into the future,” said Kayleigh Karpowicz.

Kayleigh Karpowicz submitted two pieces. A watercolor that was chosen by Mrs. McGukin and a photograph that Mr. McElroy helped choose.

“It’s a very good opportunity to get recognized by well-known people in the art community. As well as having my work get hung up in our Congressman’s office for a year, It will be a good thing to put on my resume going into the future,” said Karpowicz.

When The Crusader speaks, the world listens