The Crusader

Students go silent to show solidarity with LGBTQ community

Faith Noonan, Contributing Writer

On Friday, April 27,  students observed the annual Day of Silence in support of the LGBTQ community.

The Day of Silence is a day in which LGBTQ, straight, and cisgendered students nationwide are permitted to not speak for a day in support of the LGBTQ community.

The annual event was started by GLSEN, an organization that educates students on the LGBTQ community and strives to make schools a safe place for anyone who identifies as such.

The secretary of the high school’s Spectrum Club, who wishes to remain anonymous, appreciates the Day of Silence because sexual orientation is “not a widely talked about thing.”

The Spectrum Club secretary said that the day is important to educate uninformed people about the community so they can “learn about it even if they don’t understand it.”

Openly LGBTQ student Savannah Stoeckert said she supports the Day of Silence. Savannah said the day “represents all those years people had to stay silent about their sexuality.”

Stoeckert said that she supports the Day of Silence because she believes that there is a lack of education concerning the LGBTQ community and the day brings awareness to community issues.

“People should be respectful if they do the Day of Silence, even if they aren’t LGBT, because it means a lot to people that are,” said Stoeckert.

A lesbian student who wishes to remain anonymous added that it is “important that people have this day of awareness.”

She also said that she is happy that Monroe-Woodbury allows students to participate in LGBTQ events because it is a “mostly LGBT positive school.”

“I’m out here, but not at home,” she said, “and because this school is really LGBT positive, I felt comfortable with myself. I wasn’t worried about being bullied.”

Abigail Patterson, a student who does not identify as LGBTQ, said the Day of Silence is important for students because there are not many other events driven toward LGBTQ awareness.

“There should definitely be more time dedicated to the community,” Patterson said.

“Not talking is difficult,” Patterson said, “so maybe we all wear a certain color on a certain day. Something like that.”

“I’m straight, but I’d still like to learn about the community,” said Patterson.

When The Crusader speaks, the world listens