The Crusader

Ink magazine celebrates student writing

Adrianna Lora, Staff Writer

The ninth annual edition of the high school students’ writing collection, Ink, will be released after the first semester.

Ink is a non-juried collection of writing, meaning that everything submitted by students gets published. These submissions are sent to Ms. Bulla, the English department chair.

Students submitted works that align with the collection’s motto: “The pen is mightier than the sword.”

Drawings by students will be featured alongside the writing to add a visual aesthetic to the collection.

Entries included short stories, poetry, essays and other original pieces of writing.

Ink magazine is edited by a voluntary group of students from Ms. Bulla’s class. They work on the title page, the design of each poem, and the layout of all the writings.

“I really enjoyed working with them on the project, and it was so rewarding to see our work when it was published!” said Grace Fischer, a Monroe-Woodbury graduate. “It was a great opportunity for publication and layout practice.”

The school encourages teachers to inform their students about this opportunity and to help them participate by submitting writings that they are proud of. Around 1,000 copies of Ink are copied each year and will be available for any students to take and read one.

Monroe-Woodbury uses Ink magazine and the Living Ink celebration, a day where students go to writing workshops during their English period, to show their admiration of writing.

On October 20, Monroe-Woodbury celebrated the National Writing Day. The day was created by The National Council of Teachers of English, which is a professional organization that “amplifies the voice of educators through personal connection, collaboration, and a shared mission to improve the teaching and learning of English and language arts at all levels.”

National Writing Day is a day to celebrate writing. The NCTE said on their website that writing gives you a voice, and you have the right to express that voice.

“The National Writing Day is to honor what we write, whether it be on a sticky note to a novel,” said Ms. Bulla.

“It assures writers that their works can be published. I think giving students a way to show their writing with Living Ink is a good contribution to Writing Day” said Ms. Blumberg, an English teacher.

When The Crusader speaks, the world listens
Ink magazine celebrates student writing