When The Crusader speaks, the world listens

The Crusader

M-W FBLA members attend state leadership conference

Taylor Friedman, Contributing Writer

From April 5 to April, students from Monroe-Woodbury’s Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) club attended an annual State Leadership Conference in Rochester competing against FBLA members from other schools. The students of M-W school district received high ranks, generally claiming spots in the top five and proving the strengths and leadership skills of M-W students. The categories that M-W won awards in were FBLA Principles and Procedures, Business Communications, Publication Design, Hospitality Management, Social Media, and Future Business Leader.

FBLA is a national, school-run organization for students who are interested in various different business careers. These high school clubs are individually run by their designated chapter adviser; Mrs. Palkaunieks is the adviser for Monroe-Woodbury group. According to the FBLA website, the program gives students an opportunity to experience the business career that they might be interested in for their future.

Rather than only attending meetings at their designated school, FLBA members also go to State Leadership Conferences where they compete against students from schools across the U.S., earning awards respective to their placement and proving their knowledge and skills in their designated subject.

FBLA was created to allow students to mature and develop in fields that would help them in the business world.

A member of the M-W FBLA club, Heather Rutishauser, explained “I have developed strong leadership skills. I have formed friendships and explored a major that I would consider pursuing in college.”

According to its members, students participating in the competition work hard to do their best and feel a sense of accomplishment believe in their potential for a successful career if they do well in the competition.

“The values and educational opportunities that go along with the FBLA really stuck out to me and drew me into the club, as I was hoping that I could get something out of it,” said Daniel Willis, another M-W FBLA member.  “Once I won the second place award for Future Business Leader, I knew that it was all worth it and that I made the right choice in joining.”

The success that the students discuss correlates to the FBLA’s mission “to bring business and education together in a positive working relationship through innovative leadership and career development programs.”