When The Crusader speaks, the world listens

The Crusader

Students win at Science and Engineering Fair in March

Yena Lee, Contributing Writer

Four Monroe-Woodbury students won at a science and engineering fair that took place on March 18 in the Walker and Sage Laboratories at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in the Albany area. 

The Greater Capital Region Science and Engineering Fair is designed to motivate students who have an interest and talent in science to pursue science-related careers in the future by providing them a reason to research and learn more about the nature of science. Grades 6 through 12 who attend school in the Eastern Section of Science Teachers Association of New York State (STANYS)–which includes 15 counties–were eligible to enter this fair with teacher or adult sponsors.

The following students registered, received an approval, and were recognized for their distinguished work:

Out of 12 Grand Prize winners, Conor Collins won first place in Senior Division for his project about ‘The Development of a Novel Two-Stage Hollow Fiber Filter to Reduce Pain on Injection of a Propofol Emulsion.” He was awarded a certificate, gold medal, $500 from RRI of Science, and an invitation to compete in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair finals which were held on May 8 through 14 in Phoenix, Arizona.

Arpeet Patel won the Mu Alpha Theta award which is given to a senior who demonstrated the most challenging, thorough, creative investigation of a problem involving mathematics. She presented ‘The Effect of Flavonol Intake on the Incidence of Atrial Fibrillation’ and was awarded a certificate.

Junior Robert Colbath won the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) “Taking the Pulse of the Planet” Award. For this award, one had to do research that emphasizes NOAA’s mission of science, service, and stewardship in climate, weather, ocean and coastal sciences. He presented a project titled “The Effect of Salicylic Acid Presoaking Time on the Phytoremediation of Lead by Lemna minor.” With the same project, he also won the Stockholm Junior Water Prize which related to water quality and water source management. Overall, he was awarded two certificates, a letter, and a medallion.

Senior Colin Gordon presented a project on “Toxic Effects of Nicotine and Diacetyl in E-Cigarettes.’”and “A New Implant Design that Incorporates the Physiologic Movement of Teeth,” and received U.S. Navy and Marine Corps award with a certificate.