The Crusader

The Outdoors Club prepares school vegetable garden

Last year's Outdoor Club poses in front of the garden that was made possible through all of their hard work.

Alyssa Sandler, Contributing Writer

Students in the Outdoors club are working hard again this year to ready the high school’s fruit and vegetable garden. In the process, students have fun with one another while putting their cell phones down and learning to use garden tools. The club is currently preparing the soil for planting with brand new tools that the NYSUT Retiree Council provided for them with a $500 donation.

The fruits and vegetables in the garden include cherry tomatoes, spinach, strawberries, broccoli, cucumbers, and raspberries.

Mrs. Garvey and Mrs. Kostelnik are the club advisers and the club meets every Tuesday after school in room 147 or outside from 2 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.

“Anybody is welcome to join at any time as there is plenty for everyone to do,” said Mrs. Garvey.

Some of the tasks the students do include readying the soil by taking the big rocks and weeds out, raking and hoeing to level dirt so it is flat but not compacted, and creating rows for the plants.

Jason Bieger, a sophomore describes the club as a “relaxing place for students to be” and “a great excuse  to get outside.” Bieger states that sports are not for everyone and this can be an alternative for students who may not be as good in those activities. He said he would recommend doing this club to other students and he will definitely be joining again next year.

Club member Bryan Coto describes the club as a “hang out” where you “get to be outside”. He says he finds the club fun and entertaining.

In the summer when everyone is on vacation, the Cozy Café volunteers to take care of the garden on their own time. They maintain the garden through the summer until everyone returns in September.

When the Outdoors Club is not gardening, they are baking goods to give to charity like the Sacred Heart Parish Outreach of Monroe or contributing to hiking trails in Monroe.

• The Outdoors Club prepares school vegetable garden

News

M-W sophomore wins Orange County essay contest

Showcase

School district updates tobacco policy to reduce vaping

Showcase

Students participate in nationwide school walkout after Florida school shooting

Showcase

Harlem Wizards to battle Monroe-Woodbury Dream Team in basketball game

Student Life

Behind the instrument: The busy life of student musicians

News

Ms. Wright wins New York State secondary health education teacher of the year

News

Senior students read books to kindergarteners as part of new reading program

Student Life

Some practical study tips for upcoming midterms

News

M-W bus garage holds blanket drive for children in need

News

Morning Show receives grant for new equipment

When The Crusader speaks, the world listens