When The Crusader speaks, the world listens

The Crusader

Girl’s Varsity Win Championship for Fourth Consecutive Year

Max Feigelson, Staff Writer

The girl’s varsity team won the Orange County Interscholastic Athletic Association (O.C.I.A.A.)  championship for track and field. This was the team’s fourth consecutive year winning the championship. The competition was held at West Point on January 27.

Monroe-Woodbury High School won against Goshen High School this year in a relatively close match. Monroe-Woodbury won 115 points to Goshen’s 91. Even though the competition was tough, MW’s team managed to pull out with a victory. In order to beat a competitor like Goshen, weeks of preparation was necessary to win.

The reason for the girls’ continued success is simple: practice. The team puts in many hours of hard work before and during matches. For the team, it takes lots of running throughout the week to get them ready for the match.

Coach Mpasiakos, who has been coaching track for 28 years, is delighted by his team’s victory.

“It feels great. The hard work the girls put in, it pays off,” he said.

According to Mpasakios, he tries to teach the girls “what it takes to be a championship team, and what it takes to do well individually.”

Freshman Olivia Fisher thought of the victory as a nice surprise. Fisher said she feels  “very good. We weren’t exactly promised to win.”

Fisher started track at age 7, but still gets nervous at meets. “I can’t remember a meet I wasn’t nervous for.”

Being nervous still did not stop these girls from representing Monroe-Woodbury well at the competition.

Despite a bit of nervousness, most of the athletes managed to place very well. Many of MW’s athletes came in second or third place, leading the school to yet another successful championship. The team has won six times in eight years, this being their sixth win. They will be competing again in this championship next year.