When The Crusader speaks, the world listens

The Crusader

New Windsor Music Academy offers opportunities for students interested in music

Kyra Cardillo, Contributing Writer

New Windsor Music Academy is located in Blooming Grove Turnpike, New Windsor and it is the largest music school in its town and has approximately 550 students enrolled.

A trademark of New Windsor Music Academy is their recitals. Every winter and spring, recitals are held at locations such as the Motorcyclepedia Museum and the Crossroads Assembly of God, both located in Newburgh.

Ms. Tanczos is a receptionist at New Windsor Music Academy and has been working at the school since August. She has attended one recital and has loved it because she gets to see the final product of the students’ rehearsals.

Much preparation goes into these recitals. Nick Demizard, a voice and piano teacher of four years, prepares his students by getting them started early with their music.

“You want to get them started early. Get them started with the song early rather than later,” said Demizard.

Demizard also does practice recitals, where he brings parents into his room and their student performs as if it is the real recital.

These practices are standard for Demizard, however, he says that it depends on the student when it comes to preparation.

According to Demizard, there are many benefits to participating in the recitals.

He states that the main benefit is that the students get to perform in front of an audience.

“The more they perform, the better they are in front of an audience in general,” said Demizard, who also said that recitals increase confidence and allow the students to “show what they enjoy about taking lessons here.”

Alyssa Sandler, who has been taking guitar lessons for seven years at New Windsor Music Academy, has participated in recitals in the past and said that they are a great opportunity for showing off.

Sandler said that lessons did not start out in the music school’s current location. She said lessons started out at the owner and guitar teacher, Mike Benninger’s, house.

The school has been open since 2013, but Benninger’s home studio has been open since 2003.

Sandler said that New Windsor Music Academy is very welcoming and her family never considered going to a different music school.