When The Crusader speaks, the world listens

The Crusader

A look at the Witch from spring musical Big Fish

Grace Fischer, Editor-in-Chief

This is a part of an on-going series about characters, actors and their experiences in the making of the spring musical Big Fish.

My name is Lorin Miller, and I play the Witch in our school’s production of Big Fish. The show is about a man, Edward, who tells larger-than-life stories to his son. Edward claims that all of his heroic stories are true and encourages his son to “Be the Hero” of his own story. The reason that Edward is able to lead his adventurous, unapologetic life is because the Witch shows him his future (and how he dies) when he is a teenager. He knows that no matter what crazy antics he gets up to, all will end well.

Big Fish is so much more than a musical. It tells not one but several tales that captivate the audience and will have them guessing “What’s Next?”  As extreme and unlikely as Edward’s stories are, each of them has an underlying meaning that tells the less over-the-top, honest lessons that Edward learns throughout his life. Big Fish is accessible to all ages and teaches us about faith, love, pain, and familial relationships.

Although I’m partial to the scene where Edward and his friends meet the Witch, it’s impossible to pick my favorite moment from the show. Big Fish offers catchy tunes with interesting characters number after number. There is something for everyone: for the romantics, there are the songs that detail Edward and his wife Sandra’s love story– “Time Stops,” “Daffodils,” and “I Don’t Need a Roof”; for those who are into something more upbeat, there is a circus scene that features numbers such as “Little Lamb From Alabama” and “Closer to Her”. If I had to choose, though, I would say that the songs at the end of the show–“What’s Next” and “How it Ends”–are my favorite–but, it’s a surprise ending, wouldn’t want to ruin it for you!

The rehearsal process for this show, in particular, has been a fun and eventful one. This year we were able to introduce new technology to our stage that makes the show really come alive. We are very lucky to have an amazing tech crew and stage crew who have devoted their time and creativity to making Big Fish as great as it possibly can be. There are countless moments from rehearsal that I will always hold on to–whether it be the time we finally nailed the Alabama Stomp (a full out southern hoedown), nearly crying laughing when we saw Karl the Giant in costume, or literally crying when we ran the end of the show for the first time. I am very lucky to have so many close friends in the cast and crew and will always cherish the bonds we formed through Big Fish. This is definitely a show you do not want to miss!

Big Fish will be presented on March 24th at 7 p.m. and March 25th at 1 p.m. & 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 for students and seniors, $12 for Adults. If you are interested in tickets please contact [email protected]l.com