When The Crusader speaks, the world listens

The Crusader

Fall play a collection of scenes from well-known plays

Tyler Schacher duels Paul Nugent during rehearsal for Romeo and Juliet as part of the production of

Tyler Schacher duels Paul Nugent during rehearsal for Romeo and Juliet as part of the production of "Monroe Piece" Theater

Courtesy of Drama Club

Courtesy of Drama Club

Taina Davila and Matthew Moment

This year’s Monroe-Woodbury fall drama titled “Monroe-Piece” Theater is a collection of scenes from Romeo and Juliet, The Crucible, Of Mice and Men, and The Glass Menagerie.

“The idea was to take excerpts of the shows you read throughout high school,” said drama club officer Tara Moran. “Every student who comes will have read at least one piece, and adults will be able to follow the well-known plots, such as Romeo and Juliet.”

The collection of scenes from Romeo and Juliet feature a large cast of diverse actors, performing entirely in Shakespearean blank verse.

“It is considered one of the hardest plays for high school students to perform,” said Sam Duarte, a senior who is playing the role of Paris. “The entire cast has worked very hard to make it work in only six weeks.”

In Of Mice and Men, based on the novel by John Steinbeck, the audience follows two men with a brother-like relationship. The scene depicted tells a story with human emotions such as responsibility, dependency, and loneliness in these two very distinct characters.

The next scene performed is from The Crucible, a fictionalized take on the Salem Witch Trials that features themes such as deception and dishonesty.

“This scene brings a whole new intensity to the stage,” said Matthew Moment, one of the two student directors. “It is constantly exciting and the actors really bring the story to life.”

The final scene that will be featured is The Glass Menagerie, a twentieth-century memory play by Tennessee Williams. This scene tells a tale of a disappointed mother and

Christina Piazza, Tyler Schacher, and Ryan Coloma rehearse a scene from Romeo and Juliet.

Courtesy of Drama Club

her two adult children. The scene is notable for the dynamic and robust characters.

The production is directed by Ms. Allen and Ms. Mahany, along with student directors Rocky Nardone and Matthew Moment. The show is in the high school auditorium Oct. 28 and 29 at 7 p.m. Tickets will be sold at the door.

• Fall play a collection of scenes from well-known plays

News

Student hosts skating event to raise money for cancer research

News

Monroe-Woodbury spreads autism awareness in April

Showcase

The Outdoors Club prepares school vegetable garden

News

Monroe-Woodbury recognizes National Poetry Month in April

• Entertainment

A look at the Witch from spring musical Big Fish

Entertainment

A Look at Edward Bloom from spring musical Big Fish

Entertainment

A look at Karl from spring musical Big Fish

Showcase

People of all backgrounds come together to fight for women’s rights in New York City

News

Black box theater an exciting option for acting classes

News

Monroe-Woodbury has a new athletic director